This is a vegan low carb alternative to a traditional Mexican burrito that I like for healthy ‘comfort’ food days. It’s super meaty texture & brain boosting ingredients make me think it’s a winner for everyone!
Time : 30 minutes
Kidney beans are really high in vitamin C (100%*), have a good range of B-vitamins and a good part (15%) of iron and manganese. The aubergine supports the vitamin C, contributes to the 75% B-6 and 125% magnesium and mushrooms contributing further to another 25% of B-2, some B-12, B-3 and B-6. With 45% B-1 and 100% iron this dish will help with fatigue and contributes to many of your B-complex vitamins. Overall these burritos will improve your insomnia, memory, confusion, emotional issues & concentration – comforting & brain boosting!
*Percentage of your Recommended Daily Allowance
2 x aubergines, chopped into cubes
100 g x mushrooms, quartered
1 tbsp x tomato pureé
1/4 tbsp x chilli powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp x smoked paprika
1 x leek, chopped into rings
1 tin x kidney beans, drained (or in chilli sauce & use the chilli sauce)
50 g x corn kernels, drained
4 x large flour tortilla (opt for corn flour if you want gluten free)
1 tbsp x olive or canola oil
100 g x Cheddar cheese, grated
1 x Avocado, skin peeled & chopped
50 g x lettuce, shredded
- Fry off aubergine & mushrooms for 3-5 minutes.
- Add tomato purée, chilli, cumin & smoked paprika & mix in flavour for 2 minutes.
- Add leeks to the pan and stir in for 1 minute.
- Add kidney beans & corn, and allow all to cook together for 20 minutes.
- When filling is ready, fill into either cold or warm tortillas under the grill for 2 minutes.
- Add optional ingredients if you want a more ‘green’ burrito.
You can replace the aubergine with sweet potato as the filling if you’re not a fan of the purple vegetables! Cooking time is the same, but make sure you peel them first.