It’s really important to feed your brain well in the mornings so it has a good chance to get you through the day, making this recipe is a winner! I like steamed asparagus to go with this dish.
Time : 30 minutes or…
If you find it easier to cook at night then pre-prepare the cakes & leave them in a fridge overnight. Then you only need 10 minutes to cook them in the morning.
Loads of vitamin C in this dish thanks to sweet potatoes, red peppers, chill and coriander, plus the salmon packs it’s B-complex and vitamin D high. There is a nice touch (18%*) of magnesium from all the ingredients. This dish will help with insomnia, emotional issues, fatigue, memory & confusion, alongside dizziness, migraines & light sensitivity – basically a winner!
* Percentages are of your Recommended Daily Allowance
Sweet Potato & Salmon Cakes:
2 x large sweet potatoes, peeled & chopped into large chunks
1/2 x red pepper, de-seeded, pith removed & chopped
200 g x sliced smoked salmon or flaked smoked salmon
1 x small red chilli, de-seeded, pith removed & minced
1 x spring onion, finely chopped
2-3 tbsp chopped coriander [optional]
1 tsp x salt freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp x oil (canola is best)
1 x egg yolk
4 x eggs, out of shells in cups
1 tbsp x white wine vinegar
Salt & pepper
- Boil sweet potatoes in lightly salted water until tender (approx. 10 mins). Drain and allow to cool.
- Mash sweet potatoes coarsely. Mix in red pepper, salmon, chilli, spring onions, coriander & egg yolk. Season to taste.
- Divide mixture into small balls and flatten each slightly to form thick disks. Heat oil in a large heavy frying pan.
- Fry cakes over medium heat for 8 – 10 mins on each side, until golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, heat water and 1 tbsp white wine vinegar in large saucepan until boiling. Then pour in eggs, keeping them separate, & cook for 3-4 mins or until whites are opaque.
- Serve eggs on top of the cakes. Season to taste.